Friday, April 24, 2009

A BadCat Yarn Review!

I was recently gifted with a lovely selection of Crystal Palace yarns. A skein of this and a skein of that, in wonderful colors and assorted fibers. I pondered my loot and considered simple swatching, but there was something unsatisfying about just a swatch of such pretty yarn. I needed it to be something. Something I might wear, or give as a gift to my mom. Do you know what I mean? So I picked a skein of Panda Superwash and cast-on for a scarf. This scarf is not for winter warmth. It is more of a fashion accessory, if you will. The fiber content is 51% Bamboo, 39% Superwash Wool and 10% nylon. Although it has a bunch of wool in it, the feel is lighter and very silky, which is owes to the Bamboo. I would consider this yarn a nice one for warmer weather. The wool did show off when I blocked my scarf. It relaxed like wool in the water and the scarf is holding its block very well. The yarn was easy to knit, with very little splitting and no knots in my skein. This yarn would also be wonderful for socks, hats and mitts. The color I used is called Stonewash, and has short repeats of blue shades. The colors pool in a pleasant way and the finished piece looks great with jeans. I have more projects planned with some of the other skeins in this lovely collection, so look out for more patterns in these yarns in the future!
This shows the stitch detail. You can see the sheen of the yarn and the way the colors move. You can knit this scarf for yourself by casting on 30 stitches and following my chart. The gauge is 6 stitches to the inch in pattern but not critical. The finished size is 4 inches wide and 56 inches long after blocking, and I used one skein of Panda Superwash. If you want the pattern with full (line-by-line) directions and all the little details, download it from my Ravelry Pattern Store. It is free!


Until next week, knit on! I'll try not to get into trouble in the mean time...

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info! I found the stuff rather scratchy myself, but the colors are quite handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute.....and how dangerous! I have some of those Panda yarns in my stash.....hmmmmm....

    Bad Kitten is looking gorgeous. She's growing up on you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This yarn makes nice socks too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely scarf! that pattern shows off the colors very well. Looks like Bad Kitten is growing up - and she looks so much like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scarf is very pretty - give the Bad Kitten a pat on the back for another wonderful modeling job. It's a pity I don't have any of that yarn in my stash.

    ReplyDelete