Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Squares Take One: The Provisional Cast-on

Welcome to summer! We are celebrating with the birth of my new neighbor, Bambi. Mind you, I live about 15 minutes north of the New York City line. No matter, a mama deer decided to use the church yard next door as a playpen. This little guy is one week old...
Our Summer Squares Suite project launches tomorrow, with the first chart and instructions posted at our dedicated Summer Squares group. This week's chart (#1) is Golden Eye Square. This square can be used as the center of the Larger Golden Eye blanket. In the coming two weeks, charts for the border and edging of the blanket will also be posted.
This first week of our summer project will be well used swatching, choosing yarns and assessing gauge. I hope to spend time with our group discussing just that! Speaking of yarn...I want to show you what I selected from my stash for this summer's projects.
The Unique Sheep Eos from Earthfaire.
A lovely assortment from Land O Lace.
Colourmart cotton/silk in assorted colors...
Jade Sapphire 2-ply 100% Mongolian Cashmere...

Stop drooling on your keyboard...and don't ask what I am using which yarns for, because I won't tell you. I will tell you that my final blanket project will be in the Colourmart yarn, and that is all. Oh, and I have pulled out a few beads too, which are totally optional. Those are NOT for my blanket!

Finally, I am going to include some technique videos this summer, which will address particular elements of our Summer Squares Suite Projects. Please be aware that these are taken by BadKitten, using my digital camera. To call them amateur would be very fair! I hope they get the job done. Today's "tutorial" is about a provisional (or temporary) cast-on. I am sharing a video clip of my preferred method. You can go back to this old blog post for a review and links to a selection of methods.


There is still time for you to join our Summer Squares group. You can see the details right here! Until next week, knit on!

No comments:

Post a Comment