Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Done Deal!

Happy snow day! School has been cancelled in my little town just north of NYC, and I got to stay home! Isn't that nice? I finished the sample for one of my upcoming workshops and share a few pictures with you. Everyone, from teenagers to older adults, has loved them. As a matter of fact, I needed to pry them off a few hands thus far. The fact that they are cashmere might be contributing...
I used Jade Sapphire 2-ply Mongolian Cashmere in the Burnished Gold color, along with 08 Mill Hill beads in Old Gold metallic. With one 55 gram skein of yarn and 6 grams (one pack) of beads, there was enough to make the mitts 1.5 inches longer at the cuff then I did. With another pack of beads, you can go a few inches longer still.
I used a set of five US 0 double-pointed needles and a US 13 crochet hook to add the beads. The pattern comes with loads of variations. The mitts you see here have a real thumb gusset and fit very well. They have cables, lace work and beads. You can choose to make them longer at the cuff end. You can choose to omit the beads. There is an alternate chart that omits the cables. You can omit the thumb gusset and make long arm-warmers to peak out from your sleeves. You can make some pulse warmers with the smallest amount of special yarn.
The darling Godzilla was a gift from my dearest friend Janet and was something she had since she was a child. It has a "made in Japan" stamped on the bottom and looks like porcelain to me. I just love him. If you're in the area and want to make these mitts with me, sign up for the workshop! It is called "Burnished Gold Gauntlets."
Thanks to everyone for participating in my recent set of polls. I appreciate your suggestions. The Valentine's Day project is gestating! I'll be back with a material list for that soon. Until then, knit on!

5 comments:

  1. Aw--they are both adorable! I thought for a sec that you knitted Godzilla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gloves! Love the way the beads are scattered around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! Are going to make up a pattern for your Ravelry store?

    ReplyDelete