Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Summer Sampler Study: What's in a name?

For those of you new to the party, please take some time to review all the previous posts with the Summer Sampler label.

Cheryl, from my Yahoogroup, asked if pattern one had a name. The patterns I have collected for this sampler are not from one tradition. Versions of pattern one can be found in both German and Japanese collections. It can be seen as a single “scroll” or as mirror “scrolls” as I charted it. Pattern one is usually a panel (insertion.) I have never seen a name associated with any version of pattern one, but if someone knows otherwise please feel free to tell me in the comments. If I get a few suggestions for names I will post a pattern naming poll, just for fun. Until I get enough suggestions to put up a poll for pattern one’s name, it shall remain nameless. Make it something related to the summer theme…

Pattern two is also found in many different knitting traditions. It can be used as a panel (insertion) as I have set it up for The Summer Sampler Study, and also as a background (ground) pattern. I have never seen a name associated with this pattern, but I decided to call it The Hurricane Fence. Enjoy!

Pattern two is very straightforward and fun to work. I enjoy seeing how the yarn-overs line up to give the distinctive pattern.


Don't forget to refer back to both The Key and my Chart Dissection for a reminder, if you get confused. Both the odd and even rows are again charted for you.

I would like to make a small statement about Lifelines. Lifelines, in lace knitting, give you a safety net. I don't use them frequently, but they are great to insert before moving onto a new pattern or technique. If you make an error, you just rip right back to your Lifeline and try again. Adding Lifelines is easy. Use a blunt-tip needle to insert a spare length of smooth, contrasting yarn through all the stitches on your needle. You leave the needle there too...but do not include the stitch markers! Once the Lifeline is in, just keep knitting. I use cotton crochet thread or un-waxed dental floss. If you have to rip back, the stitches will all be held on your Lifeline. You just put those stitches right back on your needle without any fuss, and try again. You can Insert a Lifeline as often as you like. For those of you new to lace knitting, consider adding a Lifeline right before you begin each new pattern. Once the project is done, simply remove any Lifelines before blocking. For those of you with more experience, use Lifelines as they suit you. I suggest you use one before pattern 5, and will remind you of that when we get there! Happy knitting...

7 comments:

  1. Lifelines are my best friends! I have four of them going at once on my Bling shawl. I am such a cowardly knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of lifelines but have only put one in once. I thik using them is smart but I'm rarely smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lifelines. I learned the hard way that it will save me time in the end (actually I learned that several times!). Knitting is at its most devious when you think you have the pattern memorized already ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No lifelines for me. I like to live dangerously! ;-) I'm really enjoying watching the sampler as it unfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lifelines are great but I confess I only use them every once in awhile....dangerous, eh? ;-)

    Pattern one name suggestion? How about "Fountain" or "Fireworks" with the fountain idea based on either the large water variety or the fireworks variety ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pattern 1 reminds of the sprinklers we used to run through as kids so that's my suggestion: Sprinklers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. NOTE!
    Page eight is a corrected version. The original page eight told the knitter to increase one stitch in the spacer, but that was an error. The new page eight tells the knitter to knit the spacer without change. This one is correct! Meow...

    ReplyDelete