Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Summer Sampler Study: Start Your Engines...

Some of you may know that I am sharing a Summer Sampler project, with post one starting now. Today I will review a materials list and the actual materials I am using. You can use any materials you have on hand, but if you are concerned about the finished size, consider using a yarn similar to mine. Following is Page One of the project:The final sampler will be about 18 inches wide by 72 inches long, give or take, if you use the same materials that I am using. We will start with a swatch and I will give you all the information that you need to make your own calculations using your swatch and your yarn. I have done all the math to make my design work, but you will need to do a little of your own math when we work on the gauge swatch.

This picture is of my project, happily buzzing along on my needles. The yarn is Lacey Lamb, in color 304. Although you won't need a circular needle right now, it will be required when we get to the edging...
Lacey Lamb yarn is widely available. Following are a few stores that I know have the yarn. I do not have an affiliation with any of them. I suggest a light color for this project. The rest is totally up to you. If you use the Lacey Lamb, get two balls.
The Knitting Zone,
Purl Soho,
The Local Needle,
Yarniverse,
Fabulous Yarn,
Personal Threads.
The next thing I want to share is a tentative schedule for the project. I hope to get a post up every week. I am not promising that that will happen, because life might get in the way, but it is my intention and My Aim is True, as Elvis Costello sings.
I posted on Sampler knitting before, so follow the "sampler" label at the bottom of this post for a small chat on the topic, with some nice links. I love sampler knitting. I designed this project for myself. I invite you into my virtual living room to share the project with me. I don't do "knit alongs" and I make no promises to anyone. I do run a Yahoo group, where people will be working together on this project (along with other patterns of mine.) I try to keep the group on low-chat mode without being sharp-clawed about it. If you want to join, the link is on the left side of the blog. Meow...

3 comments:

  1. Well that looks doable and can't wait to get going on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will be fun and also something nice to squeeze in between other projects. Glad you are joining me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to this, hope I am not too late to join in. I was wondering a variagated yarn would work or whether a solid is essential. If there a raverly group?

    ReplyDelete