Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Squares Take Four: Turning the Corner

Happy Friday! This week's Summer Square is call The Violin. It is part of a project I call The Blue Quartet. The pictures are not very good because it is still wet and blocking. You can even see my ends, which have not been clipped yet. Pathetic, eh? And here you can see the full project, also in a less-than-flattering pose. Once she is dry I will clip the ends and take some lovely cheesecake shots, but until then, you get the idea...
The chart for this week's square and full directions for the project are now posted at our Summer Squares Group, so go for it! The other three squares in this project will follow over the next three weeks, along with the border and the edging. There is still plenty of time to join the fun.

Today we skip the food and take a hike instead. You must burn those calories, right? This view is from a trail just north of the Tappan Zee Bridge (which is one bridge north of The George Washington Bridge) along the Hudson River. The white specks are all sail boats. Very nice, eh?

You didn't know how gorgeous New York is, right?? Well did you know we have Prickly Pear Cactus in New York? Yes, we do. And it is in bloom right now.

We also have some really healthy Poison Ivy. Don't touch...

And we have these funky mushrooms. I feel fairly confident that that are not edible...but I don't know what they are called. They are not in my 'shroom field guide.

Our special video segment this week is about turning the corners on our edging, for those of you still working on The Golden Eye edging, this might be useful. I broke it into two videos. This first one shows you the first half of the corner...



And this second one shows you the second half of the corner!


I really do know that my videos are totally un-edited and slightly scary. I could learn how to edit them, but I would rather spend my time designing and knitting. I could also ask my daughter to edit them, but she would add special effects and a sound track (Green Day most likely or maybe White Stripes) All good, but I am not sure we want to see me knitting to that beat. So for right now they will stay as they are; The Blair Witch Project of knitting, if you will...please enjoy them with modest expectations!

And until next week, knit on! I will be back with another square and I hope a few pictures of finished projects from The Summer Squares group. Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Andrea-

    We had those mushroom-like things in the woods where I grew up on the east end of LI. I always new them as "indian pipes". Turns out that they have a fancier name: here's what wikipedia says about them

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_uniflora

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why violin? It looks like an alien doing jumping jacks :) Whatever, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard them called Indian Pipes as Alan said but also Ghost Pipes....will have to check the wikipedia URL. Very pretty square!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indian Pipe. Poisonous, too.

    ReplyDelete