Wednesday, February 4, 2009

American Beauty Yarn Selection

People have been discussing yarn choices for our upcoming project, so I thought I would put together this post reviewing a few of the available options. Pay special attention to the number of yards per gram, which will help you figure out if the yarn you want to use is in the ball park. I am using a real lace weight (2/28) and most of the yarns I have listed here are that. I threw a few heavier lace weights in, so you could compare the yardage. I included how much yarn I suggest you have on hand. I also included a link to one possible buying option and an approximate cost. That cost includes shipping to the US as best as I could figure, so you can do a fair comparison.

As always, I encourage everyone to use something they will enjoy working with. If you choose to use a different weight yarn there will be opportunities to add or omit charts to make the total number of rows fewer or greater. This allows the knitter to accommodate their chosen yarn. If you do this you will be making some independent choices because I won’t be working with your yarn and I won’t be able to make those choices for you. I already discussed in the previous post my suggested colors. I do not suggest variegated yarn unless they are very “tone-on-tone.” You will loose much of the lace detail if you use a multi-colored yarn. Again, this is your choice!

So here are some suggestions! Have fun…

100% extra fine merino 2/28NM laceweight
Length: 2300 Yards.
Net Weight: 150 Grams
<$15 US
Yarn needed: 1 cone http://www.colourmart.com/eng/cashmere_silk/cash_merino_etc/lace_and_cobweb_weights/100_extra_fine_merino_and_angora_merino_lace_and_cobweb_weights
100% extra fine merino 2/30NM laceweight
Length: 2450 Yards. Net Weight: 150 Grams
<$15US
http://www.colourmart.com/eng/cashmere_silk/cash_merino_etc/lace_and_cobweb_weights/100_extra_fine_merino_and_angora_merino_lace_and_cobweb_weights

2/28NM lace weight
Length: 2300 Yards
Net Weight 150 grams
Yarn needed: 1 cone
http://www.colourmart.com/eng/cashmere_silk/100_cashmere/lace_weight/2_28nm_lace_weight
Lane Borgosesia Baruffa Cashwool
<$20 US
100% Extra Fine Merino produced in Italy
Yardage: 1460 yards per 100 gram
Yarn needed: 1 skein
Malabrigo Lace Baby Merino
Yardage:50g skeins are 470 yds.
Yarn needed: 2 or 3 skeins (I would get 3)
<$40 Can.
http://www.redbirdknits.com/yarn/detail.php?Category=Yarn&name=Lace%20Baby%20Merino
Grignasco 2/28 yarn is 75% extra fine merino and 25% silk.
Yardage: 100g skein is 1400m/1533yds
Yarn needed: 1 skein
<$25 Can.
http://www.redbirdknits.com/yarn/detail.php?Category=Yarn&name=MerinoSilk
Grignasco 2/25 - 100% pure merino wool.
Yardage: 100g skein is 1250m or 1363yds
Yarn needed: 1 skein
<$15 Can.
Alpaca With A Twist Fino Yarn -- 70% baby alpaca/30% Silk
Yardage: 875yds/skein
Yarn needed: 2 skeins
<$40 US
http://stores.localneedle.com/-strse-183/Alpaca-With-A-Twist/Detail.bok
Jade Sapphire 2-ply cashmere or cashmere/silk
Yardage: 55 grams, 400 yards
Yarn needed: 2-3 skeins
<$100 US for 3 skeins but you might only use 2
OR
Jade Sapphire Lacey Lamb yarn-- 100% Extrafine Lambswool—
Yardage: 825yds/skein
Yarn needed: 2 skeins
<$40 US
Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace
Content: 50% Wool, 50% Silk 2/18
Yardage: 1250 yards/4 ounces (about 125 grams)
Yarn needed: 1 skein
<$60 US
http://stores.localneedle.com/-strse-1031/Lorna%27s-Laces-Helen%27s-Lace/Detail.bok
JaggerSpun Zephyr 2/18
Yardage: Approx. 630 yards/2oz (about 62 grams)
Yarn needed: 4 ounces
<$30 US
I hope this was useful. Until next time, knit on!

1 comment:

  1. There was a masochistic fascination to this post. I want them all. Keep this up and I will start dreaming about stealing your entire stash

    ReplyDelete