Fresh off the needles, I give you "Pears." I started this one with an old French doily pattern I found and totally enjoyed the knit. I liked her so much that I needed her to be bigger, so I added my own version of a classic peacock tail border. I am quite pleased. The yarn looks different in different light, but all these pictures are the same project. The color is a burnt orange, with flecks of purples and browns. Here she is, still wet and pinned out on my trusty white sheet, on my old Persian carpet.
Again, still wet and pinned out, to show the center detail. I modified the original pattern by changing some of the decreases to make them more directional. I thought this improved the outline on the leaves and along the pears. I also made some minor changes to the tips of the branches. These are all very subtle. I am not sure I really improved the design, but those of you who know me know that I can't leave anything alone in a knitting pattern I didn't write. It might be something diagnosable...I'll leave that to the psychiatric clinicians out there.
Here are a few detail shots. Take note of all the mesh. For this mesh, I knit two together through the front legs of the stitch for the right leaning decreases, and I knit two together through the back legs of the stitch for the left leaning decreases. That saves me all the SSKs, which take me more time. I don't think anyone would notice those twists on this mesh. You can also clearly see the two-stitch cables giving texture to the body of the pears.
Here is another look at the border transition and the "feathers" of the main section of the border.
Finally, here she is spread out on my bed. You can see she covers the entire top surface of a full-size bed.
I am almost finished with a few more things...of course I am going back to work tomorrow, so don't hold your breath! Knit on...